I get the urge to write from time to time.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Going vegan.

If anything good at all has resulted from Spring Break thus far, it is my recent decision to go vegan. I give most of the credit for this decision to the Hallelujah Acres diet, inspiring people to "self-heal" since 1992. (Note: I am not actually doing the diet, but sort of just taking from it what I can realistically apply to my current gastronomical practices)

I've just been noticing my recent lack of energy lately. Even with enough sleep, I'm tired more often than I'd like. There's this "slump" during the day when I'm like *omgreachesforchocolate*, feeling like I'm going to either pass out or simply just drop, dead-tired. Moreover, the fatigue takes over my mental state, and it's just downhill from there with depression, extreme negativity, etc...as if I did not already have enough problems with motivation and time management.

I just feel the need to clean up my life, straighten things out. This break has brought to the surface a good deal of "issue" and "concern" that I had forgotten about, mostly harboured by my family, but mostly true nonetheless. Yeah, that was a really loaded statement. A lot is going on.

But on the menu for the daily:

NanoGreens
Pink Lady Apple Oatmeal
Arugula (very tasty, if you have never tried it)
Ethiopian lentil dish (a recipe of my own)
Curried cabbage and carrots
Raw beet hummus and carrots
Lots and lots of chocolate, dairy-free, of course.

3 comments:

  1. ooo give me your lentil dish recipe!!! sounds yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basically:

    Soak 1 cup of lentils in water for about 1 hour (the water will absorb into the lentils quite a bit, so don't be alarmed)

    After 45 minutes of soaking start at medium-high heat a medium-large sized pan of:
    A bit of olive oil for sauteeing
    6 annatto seeds (these will infuse the oil)
    1 small yellow onion--\
    sautee until carmelized
    3 cloves of garlic----/


    Add and stir into the onion/garlic mix:
    1 tsp black pepper
    2 tbs sea salt
    2 tbs ground cumin/corriander
    1 tbs turmeric
    1 tbs whole cumin
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp cayenne (or more, if you prefer spicier)
    1 tsp (black) mustard seeds
    1 chopped tomato (roma or vine tomatoes are best)

    Add lentils in whatever water is left in the soaking bowl. Add 1 cup of water and 1 small can of tomato paste, stir, and cook at medium heat for fifteen minutes or so, stirring occasionally; the water should evaporate some in that time. Reduce heat to low, and add half of a whole lemon's rind to the mix and cook (and of course, stir occasionally) until the mixture is reduced to like a thick stew or soup. Add more salt to taste.

    It's really tasty with rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had the discipline and the "taste buds" to go vegan but not me! I have to have some meat, even if it's lean and limited. Can't eat pork at all but still like chicken and beef! My diet has been very "clean" for almost two months now. No sugar except honey (limited), no white flours or processed foods really and a lot of fruits and veggies. So far I'm down from a size 6 to a size 4 now over the past 53 days!

    ReplyDelete